This salad is full of delicious contrasting tastes and textures! I used the following recipe for inspiration, but I did alter it somewhat. Instead of the mint, I used basil from my garden. I added crispy olive oil croutons, white wine vinegar to taste, and sauteed the fennel in butter until it had caramelized. This is definitely something that I will be making again.
Watermelon & Fennel Salad
From Jenn Cuisine
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 of a small watermelon, rind trimmed and thinly sliced into triangles, seeds removed
- soft herbed chèvre
- a few leaves mint, chiffonaded
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat a large skillet with the scantest amount of olive oil on high heat and sear the slices of fennel until they brown, then remove from heat. This will caramelize them a little bit and bring their natural sweetness out.
2. On each plate arrange fennel slices and watermelon. Then crumble chèvre on top and garnish with mint. Drizzle a little olive oil on top and add salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!